Franciscan sanctuaries of Rieti: in 2003 when it was inaugurated, the Way of St. Francis was located only in the territory of the Rieti basin, the Valle Santa Rieti, in an area of 80 km. Today the Way has been integrated with other stages that have played an important role in the life of the Saint. The main ones wind through the sanctuaries of: Fonte Colombo, S. Maria della Foresta, S.Giacomo a Poggio Bustone, immersed in a nature that resembles that of Francesco’s time, Greccio.
Numerous archaeological sites scattered throughout Sabina testify to the importance of this territory for Rome (remember the Sabine kings and emperors). We mention only a few of the most significant: Monteleone Sabino, with the remains of the ancient Roman city Trebula Mutuesca, Montopoli, with the ruins of Villa Pollione and the Villa known as Varrone. Lucus Feroniae, in the municipality of Fiano Romano, Cantalupo, with the archaeological site of Colle San Giovanni, on which stands the small church of S. Adamo, dating back to 1150.
All of Sabina is a splendid naturalistic park that still preserves uncontaminated nature and breathtaking landscapes, from which archaeological remains, hermitages and monasteries emerge, in a mixture of environment, history, art and religion.
- Salisano, monumental forest of “La Cipresseta”.
- Monte Soratte, with its Nature Reserve.
- Nazzano Nature Reserve, Tevere-Farfa, a bird-watcher’s paradise.
- Lungo and Ripasottile Lakes Nature Reserve, with the Santa Susanna Springs, remains of a Roman Villa and the Beech of San Francesco
- Regional Park of Monti Lucretili and Valle del Turano, overlooked by the beautiful villages of Castel di Tora and Colle di Tora and Rocca Sinibalda, with its ancient village and a beautiful castle.
Sources of water in Sabina
- Thermal spring of Sant’Angelo -Terme di Cotilia (Piazza Pio IX – Castel Sant’Angelo-Rieti)
- Thermal spring of Cretone (Via dell’Acqua sulphurea – Palombara Sabina )
- Thermal spring of Rieti – Ancient sources of Cottorella (Via Fonte Cottorella, 19 -Rieti )
Not to be forgotten…
A visit to Amatrice is a must, famous for its amatriciana pasta.
Leonessa, one of the most beautiful towns in the province of Rieti.
Labro, a medieval village, an enchanting place, with a beautiful panorama of Lake Piediluco and the Rieti plain.
Rieti the geographical center city of Italy, characterized by the beauty of the landscape and the quiet of the places, with valuable evidence of its past, surrounded by the medieval walls, its numerous churches and palaces and the underground Rieti, a path in the cellars of some palaces of the central Via Roma, where the remains of the ancient Via Salaria can be seen, dating back to the 3rd century BC.